WHO IS MELISSA
Hey there, I’m Melissa Tan, and I’m an eco-conscious girl in Malaysia pursuing a zero waste life.
I was the Recycling Kid
When I was a kid, I recycled everything that I knew to be recyclable in my house.
In my teens, I worked in coffee shops and saw the amount of cumulative waste we created. It made me very uncomfortable, so I fished plastic cups out of the trash and washed them, hauling huge bags of them to the recycling centre after my shifts. But I knew it was not enough.
Then I heard about the zero waste movement, and how we can REFUSE the creation of trash in the first place.
*click* that was my lightbulb moment. There was my solution.
I’m an animal lover
A lot of my motivation for this are the animals and people that get hurt as a result of how the modern world works in careless disregard of the environment.
When I watched videos of an animal suffering at the slaughterhouse, and then read about how vegans eat,
*click* that was my lightbulb moment. I went #meatless.
I’ve volunteered with a local animal shelter for years, but when it came to watching videos of wildlife and marine life dying, I felt powerless.
These media had an impact on me. If I helped to create it, speak about it and get it out to more people, it may impact someone else too.
I hope to spark that lightbulb in someone else, like mine was triggered all those years ago.
There is a solution. And it begins with us.
- Interview: Zero Waste Living (Hello Mentor Podcast)
- Climate Action for Everyone (TGG Digital Earth Week)
- Composting (TGG Digital Earth Week)
- Circular Economy in Action (ThinkCity – Earth Week)
- Documentary Commentary (ThinkCity – Earth Week)
- Sustainable Fashion (Alyfe Connects)
- Zero Waste Wardrobe ( Zero Waste Malaysia)
- Interview: Zero Waste Living (Modelpreneuer – Elite Network)
- World Environment Day Talk (UEM Malaysia Facebook)
- Environmentalism, Zero Waste Living (Podcast: Ssup Influencer/Nuffnang/Malaysia)
- Moderator: Food Waste (AIESEC in Sunway)
- Zero Waste Talk / Zero Waste Living (BNP Paribas)
- Zero Waste Travel Made Simple (Swap 4 Earth Singapore)
- Cooler Earth – Circular Economy (CIMB Cooler Earth)
- Volvo Sustainability Talks
- Intel Earth Day
- MYD Fireside Chat with ASEAN’s Climate Leaders
- Fave Presents: Building Sustainable Lifestyle One Habit at a Time
- Standard Chartered: Sustainable Fashion & The Zero Waste Wardrobe
- Clothes Swap
- Digital Earth Week
- Clothes Swap x Rawsome
- Clothes Swap x Supparetreat at Komune Coworking
- Clothes Swap x Green Hero
- World Cleanup Day
- Clothes Swap x Think City in Penang
- Stitch n Bitch – The Waste Journey